Dr Keith Towsey
BMedSci MBBS(Hons) FRACS
Dr Towsey is a General Surgeon based at St Andrew’s War Memorial Hospital at Spring Hill. With an interest in complex abdominal wall hernia, burns, surgical oncology and colorectal surgery, Dr Towsey provides a broad and comprehensive range of surgical services, including colonoscopy and endoscopy. He also consults and operates at North West Private Hospital at Everton Park.
Graduating with Honours in Medicine, Dr Towsey completed his residency at the Royal Brisbane Hospital before serving in the regular army as a Medical officer. After completing a deployment in 2003 to the Solomon Islands, Dr Towsey transferred to the Army Reserve in order to undertake his surgical training. He completed his surgical fellowship in Queensland in 2008 and the following year completed post-fellowship training in Burns and Trauma. It was during this time he developed advanced skills in complex abdominal wall reconstruction. Since then Dr Towsey has fostered and developed the complex abdominal wall service at the Royal Brisbane Hospital including the introduction of laparoscopic component separation for the management of large, difficult ventral hernia. He continues to advocate the development of new techniques for difficult abdominal wall herniae with several active research projects in the field and by providing training programmes for other general surgeons.
His military career over the past fifteen years as an Army Reserve Surgeon has seen him deployed to Indonesia, Afghanistan, Samoa and Papua New Guinea. In 2005 he was deployed to Indonesia as part of the ADF’s humanitarian mission following the Indian Ocean Earthquake and Tsunami. During 2009 Dr Towsey deployed to Afghanistan as a trauma surgeon. He has also seen overseas service with AUSMAT (Australian Medical Assistance Team) providing humanitarian support to Western Samoa after the October 2009 Tsunami.
Dr Towsey currently has a public appointment at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital as a staff surgeon specializing in burns, trauma and complex herniae in addition to his busy private practice.
His private practice provides the following services:
- Hernia surgery, both laparoscopic and open, for groin, ventral, umbilical and incisional herniae
- Complex abdominal wall reconstruction, including component separation
- Colonoscopy and endoscopy
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomies, including transcystic bile duct exploration
- Colon and small bowel resections, both laparoscopic and open
- Haemorrhoid surgery including banding, excisional and stapled
- Fistula and fissure in ano management
- Surgical oncology, including skin cancers, melanoma surgery, sentinel node biopsy, axillary and groin dissection and intra-abdominal tumours
- Emergency surgery, including burns and trauma.